Interactive games have been created by the CEOP command of National Crime Agency. This interactive game can be used to start conversations with your child about making better online choices.
Band Runner is an interactive video game developed by the UK’s child protection agency NCACEOP’s Thinkuknow educational programme. It was created to teach 8-10 year-olds how to stay safe online.
Players race through school collecting stars to earn points. They use their guitars to remove all obstacles and get to the next gig. To continue playing, players must assist Alfie with an online safety problem if they miss a jump or fall.
This interactive game features characters from the Share series educational films. These films teach children how to recognize signs of manipulative, threatening and pressurising online behaviour and help them to feel confident in their ability to seek help.
TOP TIPS: How to get the conversation started
- Ask your child what apps, websites and games they enjoy using. What are their favorite things about them? Are there any things they don’t love?
- Discuss the Play Like Share videos with your child. What are their main learning points from each episode? Are there any safety tips that can be used online?
- You can play Band Runner with your friends. It’s possible to play on both one or two devices at once. Ask your child to recall Alfie’s internet safety problems after you have finished playing.
- Your child may enjoy playing games that involve them interacting with strangers. Make sure they know that it is not safe for them to share their personal information, such as name, school and phone number, with anyone they meet. Tell your child that they must tell you immediately if they hear anything that is disturbing or alarming.
- Your child should learn how to manage their privacy settings so that they only share information with people they trust and know. Discuss safer ways for your child to share photos and videos with friends they already know. Sending via email, private link or messaging service
- Discuss with your child how to report and block someone on each site, app and game they use.
- You can help them by letting them know they can reach you online if they have any problems.
The Band Runner is located on the Thinkuknow 8-10 year-olds website. This site provides practical and clear online safety advice.
Additional information on Band Runner and keeping children safe online can be found at the Thinkuknow website.
Parent Info’s advice is not necessarily the view of Parent Zone or NCACEOP. It is written by experts in the field.