Do you have problems connecting iPhone to CarPlay CarPlay may stop working or disconnect from the connection, which can happen after an iOS upgrade. CarPlay may not detect your iPhone. CarPlay can sometimes freeze, and you might see a black screen. Finally, there may be a CarPlay sound issue.
CarPlay is very easy to use. Your iOS apps will be displayed on your car’s display once you have connected. You can then send and receive messages, stream music to your car stereo, receive directions, or make or take phone calls. It’s hands-free so you can focus on driving.
Below are the solutions. Try each step to determine if the problem has been resolved.
Let’s first look at CarPlay requirements before we get started.
You will need an Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone or car stereo to use the CarPlay app
Find out if your car/receiver is compatible with Apple CarPlay
There are more compatible makes and models. These numbers are rapidly changing. There are over 500 CarPlay-compatible car models at the moment. See the
Full list of CarPlay-compatible car models available on the Apple website
These receivers can also be used with aftermarket receivers:
Find out if your iPhone supports
These iPhone models are compatible with CarPlay:
- iPhone SE 2 or later
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11
- iPhone Xs Max
- iPhone Xs
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5c
Other iPhone models may not be compatible.
Find out if CarPlay is offered in your region
CarPlay is not available in all countries. Visit Apple’s website for information about countries and regions.
Cars are currently available.
Find out if Siri has been turned on
CarPlay must be enabled by Siri
Go to Settings > Siri and Search on your iOS device. Make sure these options are turned on.
- You can listen to “Hey Siri”.
- Press Home to activate Siri, or press the Side Button to activate Siri.
- Siri will be locked if you allow it.
Check to see if CarPlay can be enabled while you are locked
Go to Settings > General > CarPlay> Your Car > and enable “Allow CarPlay while locked”.
Also, make sure that CarPlay is enabled. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content and Privacy Restrictions > Allowed apps on your iPhone. Make sure CarPlay is turned on.
Verify that your iPhone and car’s infotainment systems are on.
It is evident. It’s worth checking.
Also, be sure to select the “activate” option if your car offers it.
If you are unable to connect
You may have trouble connecting iPhone to CarPlay. Depending on the make and model of your car, there are two options to connect iPhone to CarPlay.
- Use a USB cable to connect your iPhone. If you have any problems:
- You should ensure that any third-party USB cables you use are Apple certified.
“This accessory is not supported by this device”
- Connect to another USB port.
- Use a different USB cable.
- Verify that the USB cable has been properly plugged in.
- Make sure that the USB and charging ports are free of any damages.
Connect iPhone to CarPlay Bluetooth if your car has wireless connectivity
- Turn on Airplane Mode in your iPhone. Wait for approximately ten seconds before turning it off. Go to
- Restart your iPhone.
- Bluetooth must be enabled on your iPhone.
- Start the car’s infotainment program. Press and hold the power or volume knob.
Update all your devices
iPhone is not recognizing CarPlay? You can update your iPhone to the most recent iOS version. Your iPhone can be updated over the air. Follow these steps to update your iPhone over the air:
- Make sure your iPhone is connected with the Internet.
- Next, go to Settings > General > Software update.
- Tap Download and Install if an update is available.
- Follow the prompts on screen.
If your aftermarket receiver is not supported by firmware updates, you can visit the manufacturer’s site to learn more about how to update.
Restart all your devices
Start your car’s infotainment and iPhone system. These steps will allow you to restart your iPhone.
- To restart iPhone X (or newer): Hold down the power (side- or top) and volume (or down) buttons until the power off slider appears. To turn it off, drag the slider. Next, turn it on again by pressing and holding down the power button until the apple logo appears.
- To start other iPhone models, press and hold the top or side button until you see a power off slider. Drag the slider. Next, turn it off by pressing and holding down the top or side button until the Apple logo appears.
You can also restart your car’s infotainment systems. This will vary depending on the car and model. Some receivers require you to hold the power knob of the audio system for approximately ten seconds. This might differ for your vehicle. It is a good idea to check the manual for your car.
Don’t forget to set up
Try resetting your iPhone to CarPlay if you still have problems connecting it. Follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > General > CarPlay> for your iPhone.
Next, try setting up again. These are the steps to follow:
Depending on the make and model of your car:
- Connect your iPhone to your car radio using a USB cable.
- To check if your car supports wireless CarPlay go to Settings > General > CarPlay and tap Available cars. Next, select the car you want to connect to iPhone to CarPlay.
If your iPhone is still not connecting to CarPlay, it could be a problem with your car’s stereo system. Apple Support can be reached as well.