This article will explain how to fix an issue with the Apple Watch Series 5’s “Always on Display” feature. This feature is automatically turned on by default.
The always-on display allows you to see the time, your watch face, and the app at dim brightness. You don’t have to tap the screen or raise your wrist to activate the watch screen. To turn this feature off, go to Settings > Display and Brightness > then tap Always On.
Sometimes, the Apple watch might display a black screen. Instead of the blurred-out or dimmed display, there may be no visible content. This troubleshooting guide will help you if you have the same issue with the aod function.
Apple Watch 5 not working when it is on display? Fix
If your Apple Watch 5 is constantly on display, here’s what you can do. We’ll also discuss the root cause to prevent it from happening again.
If your Apple Watch 5’s always-on display isn’t working, please try the following solutions. Please verify that you have followed each step to ensure your problem is solved.
1. Restart your watch. This may resolve the problem. Press and hold the side button to turn on your watch. Slide the slider until you see the power-off slider. Allow your watch to shut down for a few seconds. Press and hold the side button to turn off your watch.
2. Enable or disable. Go to Settings > Display and Brightness > Always on. Give it about a minute. Next, tap Settings > Display & Brightness to turn it on.
3. Update the software for your Apple Watch. These steps are required:
- WatchOS 6 or higher is installed on your watch. To update the software, go to Settings > General.
- You can also update your watch with your iPhone. Open the watch app on iPhone, then go to My Watch > General > Software update.
4. Disable wrist detection. Many users, including our readers, reported that their aod problems were solved by turning off wrist detection. Remember that Apple Pay will only work if this feature is turned off. You’ll need to enter your passcode to access Apple Pay. Go to Settings > Passcode and then turn off wrist detection.
5. Theater Mode must be disabled. If this mode is turned on, your watch screen will remain dark even when you raise your wrist. These are the steps to follow:
- Launch Control Center on your Apple Watch by moving up from the bottom screen.
- Tap the Theater Mode button (two masks buttons).
6. Repair, unpair, and erase. These steps will help you do it:
- Open the Watch app for your iPhone. Open the Watch app on your iPhone. Tap the (i), info icon next the watch you wish to unpair. Next, tap the “Unpair Apple Watch”. Follow the prompts. If you place your Apple Watch next to your iPhone, it will automatically create an Apple Watch backup.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset > All Content and Settings. This will erase all data, settings, apps, and apps from your watch.
- You can finally repair your watch using your iPhone. You can also choose to restore your watch from a backup.
If none of the above solutions work, it could be a hardware issue.
You have it! Your Apple Watch’s Always on Display function is back! The next time the Apple Watch Series 5 “Always on Display” stops working, you will know how to fix it. Thank you for reading. Feel free to post any questions in the comments below.