Instead of using the remote, use your voice.
The last thing you want to do when you’re relaxing on your cosy couch after a long day is get up to find the remote to turn up the volume on your favourite show.
Even if the remote is out of reach, Google Assistant – whether through a Google Home device or your phone – can give you control of many aspects of your television. With just a word, you can adjust the volume level or start Netflix, for example.
All you need is a Chromecast or a smart TV to get started. The most time-consuming move is the setup, but even that will only take a few minutes of your time.
How To Use Chromecast To Link Google Home To TV
You already have everything you need to connect Google Assistant to your Chromecast if you have a Chromecast, a TV with an HDMI port, and a good Wi-Fi link.
Begin by connecting your Chromecast. Your Chromecast will most likely connect to an HDMI port and be powered by a micro-USB cable. The Chromecast Ultra differs from the other Chromecasts in that it needs an external power source rather than being plugged directly into the TV.
Connecting your Google Home computer to Chromecast is easy once the Chromecast is plugged in and set up. After setting up the Chromecast, you should already have the Google Home app-enabled, but if you don’t, do so now. .
• Confirm that your Google Home and Chromecast are connected to the same WiFi network. You’ll have a hard time linking them if they aren’t.
• On your mobile device, launch the Google Home app. Normally, Google does not allow the Google Home app to be installed on computers. Although workarounds are possible, they are rarely worth the effort.
• Select Add, then Set Up Computer / device, and then Add New Devices.
• A list of various residences will appear. Choose a home to which you want to add the device or build a new home to which you want to add the device. Tap Next when you’re done.
• Google can search for and display a list of all devices that are compatible. Tap Next after selecting your Chromecast from the list.
• On the TV to which your Chromecast is attached, a code will appear. Check to see if it matches the code on your mobile device.
• Then, on your computer, you’ll have the option of submitting anonymous data. Either Yes or No is the answer.
• Next, choose the room where your computer is located.
• Click Next after selecting the Wi-Fi network to which you want your computer to connect.
•Then you’ll be asked whether you want to accept emails or not. Choose Yes or No.
• After that, click Next and pick the video services you want to include.
• Press the Continue button.
Your device should now be connected after you’ve completed all of these steps. You can tell Google Home to “Play Friends from Netflix on Chromecast,” and the show will appear on the screen without any additional instructions.
You have complete control over the volume, as well as the ability to skip episodes and much more. However, unless you have a Logitech Harmony Hub linked to the tv, you won’t be able to turn it off.
How to Link Google Home to a Computer That Has Already Been Set Up
The steps above are for connecting a brand-new unit, however you may find yourself in a situation where the device is already installed in your home, such as a smart TV. It can not appear on your list of devices to connect to Google Home if it has a built-in Chromecast.
Here’s how to get Google Home to work with your TV:
• Double-check that your device and Google Home are connected to the same network. If you’re not sure, look in the settings menu of your smart TV to see what network link it uses.
• Launch the Google Home application.
• Choose Set up system from the Add menu.
• Tap Do you already have anything set up?
• A system list will appear. The top of the screen will show any connected devices. In the top-right corner, tap the search button and type in the name of your user. Once you’ve found it, tap the name of the unit.
• A sign-in prompt will appear.
• If you’re setting up a smart TV, use your Sony, Vizio, or other brand’s account login. After you sign in, you should see a notification that says [NameOfDevice] has been connected/linked.
After you’ve connected the devices, your Google Home smart assistant will be able to monitor your TV. You’ll be able to cast photos and content from your phone as well.
If you have a smart TV, the software for your model can also provide you with a digital remote that can perform all of the functions of a traditional remote. When you don’t have the energy to dig through the couch cushions, this is another great alternative.